Sunday, November 7, 2010

Eating my way through DC

I live in Washington DC. I love Washington DC, wholeheartedly. I also, wholeheartedly, love food - shopping for it, preparing it, consuming it, dissecting it with friends, feeding other people - love. LOVE.

So when the Washington Post's Fall 2010 Dining Guide came out, it should not be any greater surprise that I immediately devoured it. And shortly thereafter, I came up with a brilliantly (if I do say so myself) simple goal - to eat my way through it.

Of the 39 eateries listed, I had already been to 6.5 when I first laid eyes on Tom Sietsima's list. These are:
Birch & Barley
Againn
Rasika
Honey Pig
Jaleo
Oyamel
Praline Bakery & Restaurant (this one is the half - I've been there multiple times for their macarons. They specialize in traditional and non-traditional flavourings - I think passionfruit might be my favourite.)

I'm not sure if I'll revisit any of these, or just try to stick to knocking out those I have yet to visit. Although I obviously (obviously!) must return to Praline for a full meal. Thoughts?

I have rallied the forces and many a friend is up to supporting me in this effort. And I have made a lot of reservations, including one on which I got very very lucky.... but that is a post for another time. (Bonus points to those of you who can guess where that one is for!)

The blog will document my progress through the Dining Guide. My friends and partners-in-crime will be identified throughout by initials only, unless they explicitly ask to be identified differently. With any luck, I will provide pictures too. I have a cheapo camera, so this may involve some finagling. I am also concerned with the effect of this many rich meals on my bottom line. This is a particular challenge as I am not fond of sweating at all, so I will be keeping tabs on my fluctuating weight, with how many pounds I am up or down from the current moment in time. So today is 0!

Also, my thanks to LC, as it was her subscription to the Washington Post that triggered this! Most fabulous person and instigator!

Let the adventures begin....

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm... I wish I lived closer. I'd love to help you in eating your way through DC.

    ReplyDelete